- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Green food coloring
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Green colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, extract and food coloring. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape into three 8-in. logs; roll in colored sugar. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. To form shamrocks, place three slices with sides touching 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Use a portion of another slice for stem.
- Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Shamrock Cookies in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p70
Reviews for Shamrock Mint Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 3, 2010
"These cookies were as much fun to make as they were to eat. It was a different twist than shortbread cutouts, but still had shamrocks for St. Patrick's Day."