My son Gabriel loves surprises inside cakes, like seeing a shamrock when this cake is sliced. Everyone wants to know how it’s done. — Angela Lively, Spring, Texas
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) pound cake mix
- 10 drops green food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 to 5 teaspoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven according to package directions. Grease a 9x5-in. loaf pan. Prepare one package cake mix according to package directions, adding food coloring and extract before mixing batter. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake and cool as package directs.
- Cut cooled cake into 1-in.-thick slices. Cut slices with a 2-1/2-in. shamrock-shaped cookie cutter (save remaining cake for another use). Stand shamrock slices at an angle in a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- Prepare remaining cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter around and over shamrock slices. Bake and cool as package directs.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, extract and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Pour glaze over cake, allowing some to flow over sides. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Shamrock Cutout Pound Cake in Taste of Home February/March 2014
Reviews for Shamrock Cutout Pound Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review