Shallot & Basil Green Beans
Everything about this dish just screams spring. You'll want to make this whenever you have fresh basil. It doesn't matter what the main course is because it goes with anything.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Place beans in a small saucepan and cover with water; bring to a
- boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute shallots in oil until tender.
- Stir in the sugar, salt and pepper.
- Drain beans and add to skillet. Add basil and lemon peel; toss to
- coat. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 83 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 306 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.