Shaker Herb 'n' Meatball Soup Recipe
Filling soups like this make it easy to get through cold New England winters. The meatballs are extra-easy because they cook in the soup...there's no need for browning beforehand.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 2 hours YIELD:14 servings
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first 12 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the beef, bread crumbs, egg, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Shape into 1-in. balls; drop into soup. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 114 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 594 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC