- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first 12 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- In a bowl, combine the beef, bread crumbs, egg, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Shape into 1-in. balls; drop into soup. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Shaker Herb 'n' Meatball Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p19
Reviews for Shaker Herb 'n' Meatball Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 28, 2010
"I doubled the seasonings in the soup (not the meatballs) and doubled the cabbage. good flavor!"