Shaker Bean Soup Recipe
This soup tastes especially good in cold weather—which we have a lot of here on the shore of Lake Michigan! I love cooking (I like to try a new recipe every week, and my family loves soup, so I'm always looking for one more.
- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 8 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups finely shredded fresh spinach
- 1. Soak beans according to package directions. In a Dutch oven, bring the beans, ham bone and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat easily falls off the bone.
- 2. Remove bone from broth; cool. Trim meat from the bone. Discard bone. Add the meat, onion, celery, carrots, salt, pepper and thyme to broth. Cover and cook for 30-60 minutes or until beans and vegetables are tender.
- 3. Add tomatoes and brown sugar. Cook 10 minutes longer. Just before serving, add spinach. Yield: 5 quarts.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 119 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC