Seven-Layer Gelatin Salad Recipe
By alternating fruity layers of gelatin in harvest colors with sweetened sour cream, Melody Mellinger of Myerstown, Pennsylvania created one eye-catching treat. "Kids really fall for it," she says with a laugh, "but it's impressive enough to satisfy any adult."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling YIELD:12-15 servings
- 1 package (3 ounces) cherry gelatin
- 4 cups boiling water, divided
- 2-1/2 cups cold water, divided
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 package (3 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 1 package (3 ounces) orange gelatin
- 1 package (3 ounces) lime gelatin
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve cherry gelatin in 1 cup boiling water. Add 1/2 cup cold water; stir. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. dish coated with cooking spray; refrigerate until set but not firm, about 30 minutes.
- 2. In a small saucepan, sprinkle unflavored gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water. Let stand for 1 minute. Stir in milk and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until gelatin and sugar are dissolved.
- 3. Remove from the heat. Whisk in sour cream and vanilla until smooth. Spoon 1-2/3 cups creamy gelatin mixture over the first flavored layer. Chill until set but not firm. Prepare remaining flavored gelatin as directed for cherry gelatin. Alternately layer flavored gelatins with creamy gelatin layers, allowing each to set before adding next layer. Top with lime gelatin. Refrigerate overnight. Cut into squares. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 222 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 85 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC