Seven-Grain Bread Recipe
- 1-2/3 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup five-grain cereal
- 1-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1. In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice: 134 calories, 2g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 298mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Seven-Grain Bread
"The stars wouldn't light for me tonight! I have made this by hand four times now. The first, I went completely by the recipe and the bread turned out nice, just a bit gummy for my taste. The second time, I used all bread flour and reduced the water a bit and it was still a bit too gummy for me. The third time, I reduced the water to 1 cup and decreased the cereal to 1/2 cup and used all-purpose flour again. Good, but still not what I was looking for. The 4th time, I used 3 cups of all-purpose flour, plus probably a 1/2 cup to knead in, 1/2 cup of Bob's Red Mill 7 grain cereal, used 1 cup of water, 2 1/4 teaspoons of regular active yeast and 1 tablespoon of vital wheat gluten with vitamin c. Eureka! I got a loaf that rose nicely, had good texture and wasn't full of holes or broke apart easy (a sign of too much liquid). Keep in mind that this recipe comes from Canada and I believe their flour proteins are different from ours. Higher protein flours require more liquid. Also, food is all about what is pleasing to you, the cook! I baked it at 350 degrees for 35 minutes and tented with foil the last 15. I will make again and found it a worthwhile recipe to pursue until it was the way I liked it. It is somewhat slow rising, so be patient with it. I would give it a 5-star rating! Thank you!"
"What is 5 grain cereal?"