Seven-Grain Bread Recipe
Flavorful and slightly chewy, this lovely loaf is the best thing to come out of her bread machine, attests Lise Thomson of Magrath, Alberta. "We like to start our day with a nice warm slice full of good-for-you-grains."
- 1-2/3 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup five-grain cereal
- 1-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1. In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice equals 134 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 298 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC