Sesame Wheat Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Additional sesame seeds, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the milk, honey, shortening, salt, egg, sesame seeds, whole wheat flour and 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a stiff dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Brush with butter; sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 slice: 116 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Sesame Wheat Bread
"Lovely texture. Not at all heavy like some wheat breads tend to be. I put sesame seeds on top but they fell off a d made a mess. Next time I will use an egg wash instead of melted butter. GOOD RECIPE."
"This made a really nice moist bread that held together well."
"The BEST whole wheat bread Ive ever made by myself.(also, to save some calories, I didnt brush melted butter on top and it was still yummy)"