Sesame Wheat Braids Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar and oil; mix well. Stir in whole wheat flour; let stand until the mixture bubbles, about 5 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat eggs and water. Remove 2 tablespoons to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate. Add remaining egg mixture and salt to batter; mix until smooth. Add 4 cups all-purpose flour and beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down and divide in half. Divide each half into thirds.
- 4. Shape each into a rope about 15 in. long. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet; braid. Pinch each end firmly and tuck under.
- 5. Repeat, placing second braid on the same baking sheet. Brush braids with the reserved egg mixture; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Remove from baking sheet to cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 102 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Sesame Wheat Braids
"Used no white flour only Wheat, Used 1/2 cup less Flour and 1/3 cup more oil.Turned out great."
"I also clipped this recipe from CW, July 1995. The card is so tattered and stained, I thought I better reprint it. I make this at least 3 times a month and its turned out everytime. My daughter got a grand champion ribbon at our county fair using this recipe, as did her friend in another county. Be sure to toast some for breakfast, too!"
"I've made this recipe twice already, and will definitely be making it again. It's so easy and so good."
"Excellent, tender braid. I make it all the time."
"I added a little more oil, I think that it makes a softer bread. My family loved it."