Sesame Wheat Braids Recipe
Meet the Cook: When I started making this bread, my husband and our six children liked it so much I was baking every day. I was thrilled when the judges at our county fair gave these braids both a blue ribbon and best of show award! -Nancy Montgomery, Hartville, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:32 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar and oil; mix well. Stir in whole wheat flour; let stand until the mixture bubbles, about 5 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat eggs and water. Remove 2 tablespoons to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate. Add remaining egg mixture and salt to batter; mix until smooth. Add 4 cups all-purpose flour and beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down and divide in half. Divide each half into thirds.
- 4. Shape each into a rope about 15 in. long. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet; braid. Pinch each end firmly and tuck under.
- 5. Brush with the reserved egg mixture; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Repeat, placing second braid on the same baking sheet. Let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Remove from baking sheet to cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 102 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 226 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC