Eye-catching and delicious, this salad will impress any time, but it’s ideal for spring or summer celebrations. Stephanie Matthews - Tempe, Arizona
- 3 large carrots
- 2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 2 cups fresh snow peas
- 1 package (3 ounces) ramen noodles
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 can (14 ounces) bean sprouts, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, divided
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Using a vegetable peeler, cut carrots into very thin lengthwise strips. In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add the carrots, asparagus and snow peas; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place vegetables in ice water. Drain and pat dry. Set aside 3/4 cup carrots for garnish.
- Discard seasoning packet from noodles or save for another use. Break noodles into small pieces. Place in a large serving bowl; add the blanched vegetables, red pepper, beans sprouts, water chestnuts and 1 tablespoon sesame seeds.
- In a small bowl, whisk the hoisin sauce, vinegar, canola oil, sesame oil, honey, salt, pepper flakes and pepper. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Garnish with reserved carrots and remaining sesame seeds. Serve immediately. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Sesame Summer Salad in Simple & Delicious May 2010, p48
Reviews for Sesame Summer Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review