Sesame Steamed Vegetables
"Broccoli grows abundantly during the long summer days here in Alaska," Heidi Doudna explains from Fairbanks. "I like to harvest it and freeze it along with julienned carrots, so this is always ready to go. The two vegetables are wonderful together, and the judges at our state fair even awarded this dish a first prize."
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 small carrot, julienned and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 3 tablespoons sliced water chestnuts
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- In a small saucepan, combine the broccoli, carrot, celery, water
- chestnuts, water and soy sauce; bring to a boil. Cover and steam for
- 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Sprinkle with
- sesame seeds. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup (prepared with reduced-fat butter and reduced-sodium soy sauce) equals 68 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 229 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.