Sesame Seed Veggie Salad
This colorful combo from Bob Lesburg of Mount Pleasant, South Carolina will perk up any picnic, potluck or holiday gathering.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepepr flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until
- crisp-tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; pat dry.
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, peas, tomatoes and onion. In a
- small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes
- and mustard; pour over bean mixture. Sprinkle with sesame seeds;
- toss to coat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour at room temperature
- before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 97 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 259 mg sodium,