Sesame-Pepper Flank Steak Recipe
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (2 pounds)
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first eight ingredients. Score the surface of the beef with shallow diagonal cuts, making diamond shapes; place in bag. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill beef, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- 3. Let stand for 5 minutes; thinly slice across the grain. Yield: 8 servings.
3 ounces cooked beef equals 197 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 220 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.