Sesame Orange Chicken Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2/3 cup honey barbecue sauce
- 2/3 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Hot cooked rice
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, combine the barbecue sauce, marmalade, orange juice, soy sauce, ginger and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until chicken is tender. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Sesame Orange Chicken(7)
Sort By :
The honey BBQ sauce overpowered the orange marmalade. We plan to springboard off this recipe and tweak it so it tastes more like spicy orange chicken at an Asian restaurant
Although I thought the flavor was was too "orange-y" for my taste, my family loved it! I would love to make this again, but probably leave out the orange juice and just use the marmalade.
This was pretty good, but I made a few changes. I also couldn't find the "teriyaki sesame ginger barbecue sauce", and now I see that the recipe has been changed to "honey barbecue sauce". Interesting. Well, since I couldn't find that, I used a teriyaki marinade. When I put the sauce together, I tasted it and it didn't taste very orange to me, so I increased the marmalade to 1 cup and the oj to 3/4 cup. Also I halved the chicken, but kept the sauce the same, so I essentially doubled the sauce, because we like extra for the rice. I'll be making this again, with these adjustments.
This dish was excellent. It was a hunt to find the sesame ginger barbecue sauce but I did end up with a sesame ginger marinade instead which worked perfectly! It looked just like the picture and my husband gave a big thumbs up and he is not really fond of chicken dishes. I will definitely make it again!
This was not good. The barb. sauce was impossible to find so I used a sesame ginger marinade as a substitute. It looked nothing like the pix. and didn't taste that great either.