The enticing aroma of oranges and barbecue awaits you after removing the lid from this tasty dish. Summertime doesn't mean you can't enjoy a hot, hearty meal! If you have a rice cooker, you can make a side dish of rice to serve with the chicken.—Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2/3 cup honey barbecue sauce
- 2/3 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Hot cooked rice
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
In a large bowl, combine the barbecue sauce, marmalade, orange juice, soy sauce, ginger and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until chicken is tender. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Before sprinkling with sesame seeds, cool chicken mixture. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Serve as directed. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sesame Orange Chicken in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2009, p56
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Sesame Orange Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review