Sesame Onion Braid Recipe
Convenient onion soup mix gives this stunning braided loaf mild onion flavor. It's even more delicious spread with Caramelized Onion butter. As a music professor/conductor, I sometimes share this treat with my musicians to give us all an energy boost! -Patrice Stribling Donald, Edwardsville, Illinois
- 6-1/2 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided>
- 2 eggs
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- CARAMELIZED ONION BUTTER:
- 1 tablespoon diced onion
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 5 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the sour cream, and 1/4 cup water to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add 2 eggs, soup mix, butter, baking soda. remaining warm water and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into six portions. Shape each into a 15-in. rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet; braid. Pinch ends to seal; tuck under. Repeat. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Beat egg and cold water; brush over dough. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- 5. In large skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until golden brown. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until garlic is tender.
- 6. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, onion mixture, parsley and remaining butter until creamy. Serve with bread. Yield: 2 loaves (2/3 cup butter).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 159 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 282 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC