Sesame Onion Braid Recipe
- 6-1/2 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- CARAMELIZED ONION BUTTER:
- 1 tablespoon diced onion
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 5 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the sour cream, and 1/4 cup water to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add 2 eggs, soup mix, butter, baking soda. remaining warm water and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into six portions. Shape each into a 15-in. rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet; braid. Pinch ends to seal; tuck under. Repeat. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Beat egg and cold water; brush over dough. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- 5. In large skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until golden brown. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until garlic is tender.
- 6. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, onion mixture, parsley and remaining butter until creamy. Serve with bread. Yield: 2 loaves (2/3 cup butter).
1 slice: 159 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 282mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Sesame Onion Braid
"I was waiting to make this for Thanksgiving, and I loved it. It has good flavor, and with the butter, it was really good. My whole family really enjoyed it.Something I really liked was that I had no problem having the dough rise. It did exactly what it was supposed to do. I would definitely suggest this and make this again."