Sesame Green Beans 'n' Water Chestnuts
Soy sauce and sesame oil make a flavorful base for these good-for-you green beans from Dot Christiansen's Bettendorf, Iowa kitchen. Toasted sesame seeds and water chestnuts add texture and crunch to this quick skillet side that goes well with beef or poultry.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/4 pounds fresh green beans (about 5 cups), trimmed
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- In a nonstick skillet, saute the beans, water chestnuts, mushrooms
- and garlic in canola oil and sesame oil for 5-6 minutes or until
- almost tender. Add the water, soy sauce, sugar, pepper and salt.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until beans are
- tender. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 87 calories, 4 g fat (0.55 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 189 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber,