I grow lots of the ingredients needed in this recipe. Fresh-tasting and crunchy, it's a perfect summer salad. Try leaving out the chicken and mixing the veggies with the couscous for a fun side dish. —Tari Ambler of Shorewood, Illinois
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen sugar snap peas
- 3/4 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup diced zucchini
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon thawed apple juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- In a saucepan, combine the broth, 1 teaspoon soy sauce and 1 teaspoon sesame oil; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Stir in green onions. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Place pea pods in a steamer basket in a saucepan over 1 in. of water; bring to a boil. Cover and steam for 1 minute. Add broccoli; cover and steam 2 minutes longer or until crisp-tender. Rinse in cold water; drain. Transfer to a serving bowl; add chicken, red pepper and zucchini.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, apple juice concentrate, water, canola oil, ginger, pepper and remaining soy sauce and sesame oil. Shake well. Pour over chicken mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until chilled. Serve over couscous. Sprinkle with almonds and sesame seeds. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Sesame Chicken Couscous Salad in Light & Tasty April/May 2003, p37
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Sesame Chicken Couscous Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review