Sesame Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- 1/2 pound fresh brussels sprouts, halved
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook the brussels sprouts in 1 cup water and bouillon for 6-8 minutes or until tender; drain and keep warm. In the same pan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, garlic and remaining water until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Add sprouts and toss to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Yield: 2 servings.
One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium soy sauce) equals 88 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 1,008 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable.