This recipe was given to me by a farmer neighbor. She grew up in a Serbian neighborhood, and said the Serbian name for this dish is Sarma. I always think of this kind lady whenever I make this dish...she and her husband always had a huge garden (one year they grew five different types of leaf lettuce!), and they were always very generous with their harvests.—Mrs. Arthur Goldberg, Goetzville, Michigan
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium head cabbage (about 3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, undrained
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a skillet, brown beef and onion; drain and set aside. In a Dutch oven or large kettle, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add cabbage; simmer 6-8 minutes. Remove wilted cabbage leaves with a fork; drain and cool.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, add rice to 2 cups boiling water; when water comes to a boil again, remove from the heat. Drain and rinse. Add rice to beef; season with salt and pepper. Remove the large vein from 12 large cabbage leaves.
- Line bottom of another large kettle with half of the remaining small cabbage leaves; cover with half of the sauerkraut. Place 1 tablespoon of meat mixture on each large cabbage leaf. Fold sides over and roll leaf up tightly lengthwise; tuck loose ends under and place seam side down on top of sauerkraut. Repeat with remaining large leaves and meat mixture. Cover with remaining sauerkraut and small cabbage leaves.
- For gravy, combine the oil and flour in a small saucepan. Add remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat until slightly thickened; pour over cabbage leaves. Simmer gently over low heat for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, shaking kettle occasionally to prevent sticking. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Serbian Stuffed Cabbage in Country Ground Beef 1993, p70
Reviews for Serbian Stuffed Cabbage
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review