I love to pick strawberries in the morning, then make this shortcake in the afternoon. This pretty dessert really hits the spot on a hot summer day.
- 1 quart strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 to 3 cups sweetened whipped cream
- In a bowl, gently combine strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar; refrigerate until serving.
- Combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; cut in butter until crumbly. Combine milk and egg yolks. Stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Press into two greased 9-in. round baking pans.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; spread over dough. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 300° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. (Layers will be thin.) Cool completely.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Top with half of whipped cream and strawberries. Repeat layers. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Sensational Strawberry Shortcake in Country June/July 1995, p51
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Sensational Strawberry Shortcake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review