- 1 quart strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 to 3 cups sweetened whipped cream
- In a bowl, gently combine strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar; refrigerate until serving.
- Combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; cut in butter until crumbly. Combine milk and egg yolks. Stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Press into two greased 9-in. round baking pans.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; spread over dough. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 300° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. (Layers will be thin.) Cool completely.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Top with half of whipped cream and strawberries. Repeat layers. Yield: 8-10 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a sweet white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven Daughters Moscato, sweet floral aromas of peach and honey. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Sensational Strawberry Shortcake
Sort By :
After reading this recipe, I really thought it might be a lot of trouble to create, however it did take some time, the end result was well worth it. I have never had the original style strawberry shortcake, but this was my first real old style strawberry shortcake and I will never make another recipe different from this. Thank you for sharing.
I made this for our Father's Day BBQ. Everyone loved it. We will definitely be having this again.
easy to make and got great compliments!