- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a small saucepan, melt chocolate chips with water; stir until smooth. Stir a small amount of hot chocolate mixture into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool, stirring several times.
- In a small bowl, beat whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Fold in cooled chocolate mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Garnish with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Semisweet Chocolate Mousse
"I had never made chocolate mousse before and this recipe was so easy and delicious! I wondered too about adding water to the chocolate, but I just kept stirring and it came together smoothly. I'll be making this more often for sure! I might add some mini-chocolate chips to it the next time."
"This was great! at first I was really skeptical because it said to add water to your chocolate and I know that it makes chocolate seize really badly, but you add so much water that it melts completely and turns into something like hot chocolate. the chocolate will look like its seizing, but just keep at it and it will melt all the way very soon.Also, I only had MILK CHOCOLATE CHIPS instead of semi-sweet, and at first it was way too sweet, but I added cocoa powder as I folded the chocolate and whipped cream together and it is a fantastic bitter sweet mousse, maybe even better than if I had made it correctly!"
"This mousse is wonderful! Once you try it, you'll be making it again."