Seeded Honey Wheat Bread Recipe
So full of poppy and sunflower seed flavor, I usually have to double this recipe because it goes so fast in my family. Bread bakers will appreciate it's perfect shape and soft texture. —Rachel Heidenreich, Marshall, Michigan
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup flaxseed
- 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, yeast, salt and 1 cup all-purpose flour; set aside. In a small saucepan, heat water, butter and honey to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients. Stir in flax, sunflower kernels, poppy seeds and enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest 10 minutes. Punch down dough; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans, seam side down. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, beat egg; brush over loaves. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Seeded Honey Wheat Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2013, p34
Reviews for Seeded Honey Wheat Bread(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review