- will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the
- top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until
- doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into
- thirds. Shape each into a 26-in. rope; braid ropes. Transfer to a
- greased baking sheet; form into a circle, pinching ends together to
- seal. Cover with a clean kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place
- until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- For topping, beat egg and water; brush over braid. Sprinkle with
- pepitas. Bake at 350° for 18-23 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan to wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (18 slices).
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 192 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.