Secret Treat Molasses Cookies Recipe
This recipe has been passed down for generations. I've made these cookies for years, but like my mother, I only make them for special occasions. They're fun to decorate and delicious to eat, with a "surprise flavor" inside.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
- 1-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. (The dough will be very stiff.) Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut into 2-1/4-in. to 2-1/2-in. circles. Place 1/2 teaspoon preserves on half of the circles; top with remaining circles. Pinch edges together to seal. Place on greased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients and frost cooled cookies. Yield: About 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 169 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 134 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC