Secret Treat Molasses Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
- 1-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. (The dough will be very stiff.) Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut into 2-1/4-in. to 2-1/2-in. circles. Place 1/2 teaspoon preserves on half of the circles; top with remaining circles. Pinch edges together to seal. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients and frost cooled cookies. Yield: About 2 dozen.
Originally published as Secret Treat Molasses Cookies in Reminisce September/October 1994, p53
Reviews for Secret Treat Molasses Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 12, 2011
"The dough was fairly easy to work with, and the molasses flavour was not too strong. I'd probably put a bit more jam into each cookie next time, but we'll be keeping this on our Christmas baking list!"