Secret Ingredient Fried Catfish
Pancake mix and carbonated water are the surprising secrets to these beautifully browned catfish fillets. Serve with coleslaw or sweet potato fries, and get ready for smiles. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons carbonated water
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 catfish fillets (6 ounces each)
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs and water. In another shallow bowl,
- combine the pancake mix, seasoned salt and pepper. Dip fillets in
- egg mixture, then coat with seasoned pancake mix.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry
- fillets, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 fillet equals 475 calories, 34 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 133 mg cholesterol, 386 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.