Secret Ginger Cookies Recipe
White pepper and ground mustard are the secret ingredients in this recipe. My sons can't stop eating these slightly spicy chewy cookies.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:27 servings
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground white pepper, mustard and cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Additional sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, pepper, mustard, cardamom, salt and cloves; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Roll into 1-in. balls, then roll in sugar. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until surface cracks. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 130 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC