- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground white pepper, mustard and cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, pepper, mustard, cardamom, salt and cloves; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll into 1-in. balls, then roll in sugar. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until surface cracks. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Secret Ginger Cookies
"These ginger cookies are the best I've ever tried. My daughter can't keep her hands off them. Nice and crunchy on the outside. Chewy sweet savory spice with just the right bite. Love them and will make this my go to recipe for ginger cookies."
"These are great. I have made them quite a few times. I make sure everything is room temp. before beginning. I also, each time, forget to buy cardamom, so I go heavy on the other spices(but not the salt).Again,thanks. These are very good."