- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground white pepper, mustard and cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, pepper, mustard, cardamom, salt and cloves; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll into 1-in. balls, then roll in sugar. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until surface cracks. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Secret Ginger Cookies in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p57
Reviews for Secret Ginger Cookies(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 6, 2011
These are great. I have made them quite a few times. I make sure everything is room temp. before beginning. I also, each time, forget to buy cardamom, so I go heavy on the other spices(but not the salt).Again,thanks. These are very good.