Second-Chance Reubens Recipe
- 8 slices rye bread
- 4 tablespoons Thousand Island salad dressing, divided
- 4 slices cooked meat loaf, warmed
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1. Spread four bread slices with half of salad dressing. Layer each with meat loaf, sauerkraut and cheese. Spread remaining bread with remaining salad dressing; place over cheese. Butter outsides of sandwiches.
In a large skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until bread is lightly browned and cheese is melted.
Italian Patty Melts: Substitute Italian bread for rye. For each sandwich, layer a bread slice with 1 slice provolone cheese, 1 tablespoon each pizza sauce and giardiniera, 1 slice meat loaf and a bread slice. Butter outsides of sandwiches; cook as directed. Yield: 4 servings.
1 sandwich equals 515 calories, 31 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 1,045 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Reviews for Second-Chance Reubens
"Saving recipe after noticing contains cooked meat loaf. Appears quite versatile. Joscy"