“Now that you have so many tasty meatloaf recipes, how do you liven up leftover meatloaf? This great recipe is the answer! If you like Rueben sandwiches, you'll love this new take on an old favorite.” -Kimberley Johnson of Englewood, Colorado
- 8 slices rye bread
- 4 tablespoons Thousand Island salad dressing, divided
- 4 slices cooked meat loaf, warmed
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Spread four bread slices with half of salad dressing. Layer each with meat loaf, sauerkraut and cheese. Spread remaining bread with remaining salad dressing; place over cheese. Butter outsides of sandwiches.
In a large skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until bread is lightly browned and cheese is melted.
Italian Patty Melts: Substitute Italian bread for rye. For each sandwich, layer a bread slice with 1 slice provolone cheese, 1 tablespoon each pizza sauce and giardiniera, 1 slice meat loaf and a bread slice. Butter outsides of sandwiches; cook as directed. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Second-Chance Reubens in Simple & Delicious September/October 2008, p17
Reviews for Second-Chance Reubens
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 9, 2014
"Saving recipe after noticing contains cooked meat loaf. Appears quite versatile. Joscy"