Seasoning For Tacos
Ground beef tacos and taco salads are nicely enhanced by the mixture that Sue Gronholz uses in place of store-bought taco seasoning. "It's so easy to mix up a batch and keep it in the pantry," writes the Beaver Dam, Wisconsin cook. "It's convenient and saves money, too."
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 5 teaspoons paprika
- 4-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup water
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Store in an airtight
- container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 3 batches
- (about 1/2 cup total).
- To prepare taco meat: In a saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until
- no longer pink; drain. Add water and 8 teaspoons seasoning mix.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Yield: 4 servings per batch.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (8 teaspoons) equals 236 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 659 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 23 g protein.