Seasoned Turkey Sandwiches Recipe
- HOMEMADE SANDWICH BUNS:
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- GRILLED TURKEY:
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add the sugar, egg, shortening, salt, remaining water and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Divide each portion into 12 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Brush with butter. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the salt, garlic powder and pepper; rub over turkey. Place butter inside turkey cavity; tie drumsticks together. Prepare grill for indirect medium heat. Tuck wings under turkey and place with breast side up in a disposable roasting pan; place on grill rack.
- Grill, covered, for 1 hour. If using a charcoal grill, add 10 briquettes to coals. Baste with pan drippings. Cover and grill 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer or until a meat thermometer reads 180°, adding 10 briquettes to maintain heat and brushing with pan drippings every 30 minutes. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before carving. Split buns in half; fill with sliced turkey. Yield: 24 sandwiches.
Originally published as Seasoned Turkey Sandwiches in Country Woman May/June 2006, p50
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Seasoned Turkey Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Turkey >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Easter Dinner Recipes >
- Easter Main Dish Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Grilled Turkey >
- Grilling Recipes >
- July 4th Dinner >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Labor Day Main Dishes >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Memorial Day Dinners >
- Memorial Day Recipes >
- New Year's Dinner Recipes >
- New Year's Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >