- 1-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a small bowl, combine the first nine ingredients; set aside. Cut ribs into serving-size pieces; place on a broiler pan. Sprinkle with pepper. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until browned; drain on paper towels.
- Place ribs in a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with tomato juice mixture. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Pour 1 cup cooking liquid into a small saucepan; skim off fat. Bring to a boil; stir in cornstarch mixture. Return to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over ribs. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Seasoned Short Ribs
"Just didn't acquire the finishing taste of the ribs."
"This recipe turned out so good! These are the best ribs I have ever had. I forgot the last step of thickening the sauce with cornstarch and it was still delicious. Highly recommend this recipe."