Seasoned Potato Cubes
One trusted side dish that Kay Krause of Sioux Falls, South Dakota relies on is her recipe for simmered-in-beer Seasoned Potato Cubes. “These wonderful potatoes are great with steak, pork chops—even burgers,” she writes. “I found the recipe in a magazine years ago and added a few things to make it even more tasty.”
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped, optional
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup beer or additional chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, optional
- In a large skillet, cook and stir the potatoes in butter over
- medium-high heat until lightly browned. Sprinkle with the seasoned
- salt, garlic powder and pepper. Add the red pepper, onion and green
- pepper if desired. Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Combine the broth, beer and brown sugar if desired; pour over
- vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5
- minutes or until tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup (prepared with reduced-fat butter; calculated without brown sugar) equals 151 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 326 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber,