Seasoned Bread Crumbs
Our Test Kitchen came up with this good-for-you alternative to high-sodium packaged bread crumbs, using garlic powder and a handful of dried herbs. The crumbs make a savory topping for casseroles and a crispy coating for pork, chicken and fish.
8 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 4 ounces Italian bread, cubed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor; cover and
- process until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x
- 1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 8-12 minutes or
- until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Cool. Store in an
- airtight container. Yield: 1 cup.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (2 tablespoons) equals 40 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 83 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.