Our Test Kitchen came up with this good-for-you alternative to high-sodium packaged bread crumbs, using garlic powder and a handful of dried herbs. The crumbs make a savory topping for casseroles and a crispy coating for pork, chicken and fish.
Featured In: 19 Warm and Cozy Fall Dinner Recipes
- 4 ounces Italian bread, cubed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor; cover and process until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 8-12 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 1 cup.
Originally published as Seasoned Bread Crumbs in Light & Tasty December/January 2005, p15
Reviews for Seasoned Bread Crumbs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 10, 2012
"Yay! Thank you for these substitute recipes. I also tried the TOH Taco Seasoning, and it was delicious! I love having the basic ingredients on hand, and not using as much packaged stuff. :)"