Seasoned Beans and Tomatoes
These spiced green beans are back on the menu at our family gatherings again. For years, Grandma Wasnock had serve them on Christmas Day. We forgot about the recipe until my aunt served this dish at her daughter's wedding. That's when we found out the recipe came from a homemade cookbook my aunt received at her wedding shower.
-John Wasnock, Medina, New York
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups fresh or frozen green beans, thawed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the remaining
- ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, over
- medium-low heat until beans are tender. Serve with a slotted spoon.
- Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 92 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 189 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.