Season's End Salad
This quick-to-fix salad is a great way to use the last of your garden's bounty. The vinegar lets the fresh flavor come through.—Susan Strout, Cheney, Washington
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 3/4 cup cider or red wine vinegar
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Layer tomato, onion and cucumber in a 1-1/2-qt. dish. Season with
- salt and pepper. Sprinkle with sugar if desired. Pour vinegar over
- vegetables. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Drain; serve on
- lettuce if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 28 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 6 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.