Seafood Gumbo Recipe
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1 cup sliced green onion and tops
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups sliced okra
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups small shrimp, rinsed and drained, or seafood of your choice
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- In a heavy Dutch oven, combine flour and oil until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir about 10 minutes more, or until mixture is reddish-brown.
- Add the onion, celery, green pepper and green onions; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth, water, okra, paprika, salt, oregano and pepper. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp and parsley. Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or until seafood is done. Remove from heat; stir in Cajun seasoning. Yield: about 6 quarts.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Seafood Gumbo(6)
Sort By :
Easy to follow. Family loved it over rice.
This is a huge recipe. Can it be frozen? I'd hate to think my husband and I would be eating this for at least a week. Not a good idea. Help.
Since I have never made gumbo before, this was a good, non-intimidating recipe to start with.
I absolutely love this recipe! I made it last night and it was a hit with my kids! I added turkey sausage and chicken to make it the "official" New Orleans style gumbo! It was DELICIOUS!!!
THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME I EVER MADE GUMBO AND IT WAS GREAT. I WILL DEFINATELY BE MAKING MORE