- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1 cup sliced green onion and tops
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups sliced okra
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups small shrimp, rinsed and drained, or seafood of your choice
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- In a heavy Dutch oven, combine flour and oil until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir about 10 minutes more, or until mixture is reddish-brown.
- Add the onion, celery, green pepper and green onions; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth, water, okra, paprika, salt, oregano and pepper. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp and parsley. Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or until seafood is done. Remove from heat; stir in Cajun seasoning. Yield: about 6 quarts.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Seafood Gumbo(3)
Sort By :
I absolutely love this recipe! I made it last night and it was a hit with my kids! I added turkey sausage and chicken to make it the "official" New Orleans style gumbo! It was DELICIOUS!!!
THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME I EVER MADE GUMBO AND IT WAS GREAT. I WILL DEFINATELY BE MAKING MORE
this is THE best gumbo we've ever made....we cooked our roux in the oven at 350 for about 2 hours until it was chocolate brown...we also omitted 4 of the 8 cups of water and added 2 15 ounce cans of stewed tomatoes...DEFINITELY on our list to make again....thanks so much.