- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon marinade for chicken
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1-1/4 cups oyster crackers
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups thinly sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups clam juice
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen corn
- 1-1/2 cups diced zucchini
- 1 pound grouper or tilapia fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound bay scallops
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, marinade for chicken, pepper sauce, curry and paprika. Add the crackers; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring twice. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a stockpot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- Saute potatoes and leeks in drippings; stir in flour and thyme until blended. Gradually whisk in broth and clam juice. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add the corn, zucchini, grouper, shrimp and scallops; cook for 2-4 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Stir in the cream, salt and pepper; heat through. Serve with crackers and bacon. Yield: 12 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Seafood Chowder in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p223
Reviews for Seafood Chowder with Seasoned Oyster Crackers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review