Scrumptious Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Red paste food coloring, optional
- Miniature semisweet chocolate chips and red-hot candies
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Divide dough into thirds; flatten each portion into a circle. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-1/2-in. gingerbread boy cookie cutter; place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough; chill and reroll scraps.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat the confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Tint a portion red if desired. Decorate cookies as desired with icing, chocolate chips and red-hots. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie (calculated without chocolate chips and red-hot candies) equals 243 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 111 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.