This is the dish I start with when preparing the meal. This chunky sauce needs to simmer so I can focus on the rest of the meal.Sherry Horton, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
4-6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and garlic in oil
- until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, sugar and oregano. Cover and
- simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain;
- transfer to a serving dish. Serve with sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan
- cheese if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 350 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 332 mg sodium, 68 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or