Scrumptious Scrambled Salad
This recipe makes a large, very pretty and absolutely delicious salad that always disappears as fast as I make it.—Becky Muldrow, Highlands, Texas
24 ServingsPrep: 45 min. + chilling
- 2 large bunches romaine, torn
- 12 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups sliced water chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 2-1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked, crumbled and drained
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- In a very large salad bowl, layer the romaine, onions, water
- chestnuts and peas. Combine the mayonnaise, milk, vinegar and garlic
- powder; spread over peas. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and
- refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, add the tomatoes, bacon and eggs; toss gently.
- Yield: 24 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 267 calories, 23 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 309 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.