- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chili pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 salmon fillet (1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a small saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute garlic and shallot until tender. Add orange juice and vinegar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup. Stir in the honey, chili pepper, salt and pepper.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, brown salmon in oil on both sides. Brush with 1/4 cup sauce. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Brush with remaining sauce and sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Scrumptious California Salmon
"I was looking for something different and this was. I guess I don't love orange flavor with salmon. It was good, but not amazing to me."
"This is a great recipe. Easy, yet it has a sophisticated flavor."
"This is a very tasty sauce for salmon-my favorite. I don't have a stove top so used an electric skillet to reduce the sauce. Microwaving to reduce was a fail. The first time I made this, I cooked it in my Sharp Steamwave along with asparagus from the garden. Today, we're going to cook it on the grill."
"We left out the salt and pepper since the balsamic vinegar had lots of flavor, and the ancho pepper had enough spice. It was evry pretty. We added orange slices as a garnish. But next time, we will try adding chopped pineapple. Thanks for the recipe."
"I had a great time making this recipe. This was so good!! I doubled the recipe because I had to feed 7 people, 5 of which are kids. When you have 11,12,two 13, & a 16 year old saying how this was the best fish dish I've made for them...that's saying a whole lot!! Thank you for sharing. 5 stars for sure."
"I have made this recipe numerous times and it is always excellent! My family loves it!!"
"This recipe was delicious! I will definitely be making it again. Couldn't find ancho chili pepper, so I grabbed something called Mexican Chili Powder. Wasn't very spicy, but then again I don't know what ancho chili pepper tastes like. Anyways, the flavors were all wonderful!"
"excellent!I did not have ancho chili pepper so I used regular chili powder. I didn't have shallots either."
"This has an amazing flavored sauce. I served it on tilapia instead of salmon since that was what I had on hand however I believe this would even be yummy on chicken!"
"This was absolutely delicious. I made a few changes. I did not have shallots so I did not use. I did not have ancho chili pepper but I had chipotle chili pepper which I used and I used rainbow trout which to me has almost the same flavor as salmon. It turned out great and will keep this recipe."