This moist bread from Karen Strzelecki of Arlington, Texas is great for breakfast or as a snack. Karen writes, “It's so good that my family doesn't even know they're eating a low-fat bread.”
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, beat the egg, egg white, applesauce, milk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in blueberries and lemon peel.
- Transfer to an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Combine the glaze ingredients; pour over warm loaf. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Originally published as Scrumptious Blueberry-Lemon Bread in Light & Tasty April/May 2007, p27
Reviews for Scrumptious Blueberry-Lemon Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review