I'm not sure where this recipe originated, but it's one of my family's summertime favorites. I usually serve these juicy burgers when we have company. The guests rave about the flavorful cheesy topping. It's fun to serve a burger that's a little more special.
—Wendy Sommers, West Chicago, Illinois
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup canned sliced mushrooms
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- Lettuce leaves and tomato slices, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, onion, garlic salt and pepper.
- Shape into six patties, 3/4 in. thick.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese, mushrooms, bacon and mayonnaise;
- Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side
- or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. During the last 3
- minutes, spoon 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture onto each burger. Serve
- on buns with lettuce and tomato if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 480 calories, 29 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 778 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 30 g protein.