I'm not sure where this recipe originated, but it's one of my family's summertime favorites. I usually serve these juicy burgers when we have company. The guests rave about the flavorful cheesy topping. It's fun to serve a burger that's a little more special. —Wendy Sommers, West Chicago, Illinois
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup canned sliced mushrooms
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- Lettuce leaves and tomato slices, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, onion, garlic salt and pepper. Shape into six patties, 3/4 in. thick.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese, mushrooms, bacon and mayonnaise; chill.
- Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. During the last 3 minutes, spoon 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture onto each burger. Serve on buns, with lettuce and tomato if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Scrum-Delicious Burgers in Taste of Home June/July 1994, p25
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Scrum-Delicious Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review