- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 cups cubed day-old bread (1/2-in. cubes)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add bread cubes and toss; let stand for 5 minutes. Melt butter in a large skillet. Add bread cubes and stir until cooked and browned. Gradually add sugar; stir to coat evenly. Cook until all sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Scrambled French Toast
"I really like the taste, it has just the right amount of sweetness. I don't think I will make the cubes again, instead will use thick slices of bread and put it on the griddle. I had a difficult time using the skillet; a lot of the cubed bread turned to mush when turning them. Or I may dip several cubes in the liquid and put in pan to cook. I will make this again, I'm just not sure in which form, cubes or thick slices."